Friday, March 25, 2011

Friends


Assalamalaikum wa Rehmatullahi wa barakatuh! 

So, I'm a little late on writing about the khutbah that I attended last Jummah, but I feel like the topic discussed by Sheik Aziz is something very important. The topic of the khutbah last Jummah was over friends, who your befriend, the effect of friendship, and then finally the three characteristics that one should search in a friend. 

Sheikh Aziz started off by talking about the impact that friends have on you. The people that you are surrounded can influence you so much that sometimes you don't even realize yourself becoming a different person. I never really understood this until I actually came to college. In high school, I mostly had friends that were Muslims and so there was this mutual understanding, rooted core beliefs, and it was easy and comfortable being around them. College...a whole other story. The amount of Muslim friends went to almost nothing and the people that I was surrounded by were filled with different morals, different beliefs, vulgarity, foul language, cursing like no one's business, and saying disgusting things that no ears should hear. I began to notice myself adapt to the same negativity that some of them showed and I began to be less thankful of everything I had and began to complain all the time until I realized how wrong this was. I am blessed with a full stomach, with family, with Islam, with the air I breathe, I could never even come close to counting the amount of blessings that Allah has bestowed upon me so why am I complaining about little things? The more I distanced myself from those people, the more I changed. The more I hung out with those people, the more their language, their behaviors, their attitudes rubbed off on me.


Aside from this case, there are many other examples. Countless stories about some people of faith living with Atheists and they eventually become atheists. When you're surrounded by bad language, you find yourself cursing more. Little habits you may just find yourself adapting to. When you're surrounded by Muslims, you may feel your faith strengthen, you may feel that bond of brotherhood or sisterhood, stronger than anything else. When you're surrounded by people who share the same love for Allah, there is an inner peace because of course only with the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest. So when you are surrounded with people that remind you of Allah, their friendship will be much stronger than those who see your beliefs as "weird" or "stupid". Their is nothing wrong with having acquaintances or friends that are non-Muslims, in our society and schools, its almost inevitable. However, the people that are the closest to you, or are your best friends should be wisely chosen. You should carefully consider the people that you spend the majority of your time with. "The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: A man follows the religion of his friend; so each one should consider whom he makes his friend." [Abu Dawud 41:4815]


Sheikh Aziz in his khutbah gave three qualities that we should search for when making a close friend:
1) Do they believe in Allah?
2) Do they invite you to halal and help keep you away from haram and sin? 
3) Do they have good Akhlaq, which is an arabic term that means virtues or manners. Some things you may want to consider is do they gossip alot? Do they curse alot? Do they pray five times a day...etc. 


Basically, this khutabah was a very good reflection on whom we keep as close friends. Keep your close friends those that love Allah and through your friendship you can become closer to your creator, inshAllah. This is a reminder to myself as well as to everyone else. May Allah help surround us all with good company. Ameen!


Jazkallahkhair! 


-Razz :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment